Meet the Castellers at their Barcelona Club
A unique chance to get meet the Castellers at their own club in Barcelona, where you get to see them personally and learn all about their history, tradition and the skills and technique needed for their incredible human towers. You see them in action, practicing building the Castells and can even join in and have a go yourself if you like!
The Castellers rich history goes back to the early 1700’s when the first towers were recorded in the fiestas of the town of Valls in the south of Catalonia. The tradition has grown to become a cornerstone of Catalan culture and identity and most towns in the region have their own “colla” or group. The towers can be of one to four people and the record, set in 2017, is for an incredible “4 de 10” – 10 stories of 4 people each.
It’s no surprise that the motto of the Castellers is “Força, equilibri, valor i seny” (Strength, balance, courage and common sense)
The Castellers are a friendly lot who are always happy to share their passion for their craft with visitors interested in their UNESCO heritage tradition. Their humble club guarantees a warm welcome and there’s even a little bar where you can watch them train over a coffee or a drink.
You can book our Meet the Castellers tour for Tuesday and Friday evenings, which is when the group meet to practice.
- Private tour of the Castellers Club in Barcelona
- On arrival you have a short presentation and video explaining the history, skills and technique needed to build Castells
- The Castellers show you their costume and how to put on the "faixa" , the long sash they wear to protect their backs
- You see the Castellers in action, building the different parts of the towers
- Join in making the "pinya", the base of the tower or relax and see them in action from one of the tables in the bar
- IMPORTANT! : This tour only runs on Tuesday and Friday evenings, which is when the Castellers practice
Contact us today for enquiries and bookings for this tour.
Meet the Castellers
Tour duration 2 hours
Take a look at our popular experiences
And remember, if you don’t see exactly what you are looking for here, please get in touch and we’ll help you with what you need.
Gaudi Off the Beaten Track
Discover the cavas and wines of the Penedes
Savour the most exciting tastes of Barcelona!
Learn the secret of authentic tapas, a real Spanish tortilla and a perfect paella
Discover the secrets of one of Spain’s great wine regions
An expert private guided tour of two of Gaudi’s masterpieces